I’m sure you’ve seen those bagged kale salads at a grocery store, and kudos to the companies making it convenient in dumping their package of superfood into a bowl, but it’s still bagged salad *poo*
Of course, I read the ingredients, picked up fresh produce to make at home, and skipped out on their poppyseed dressing (cuz an ingredient list of “product contains egg and soy” just doesn’t cut it for me).
So I give to you, my rendition of the Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit, using fresh produce.
If you’re not a fan of raw kale, feel free to opt for any leafy green.
For my salad dressing, you know me, I keep it clean, so I simply used extra virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
If you’re big into salad dressings, feel free to use something that will compliment your superfood salad, and not overpower the ingredients or the nutrients.
- 1 Broccoli Stem
- 2 Brussels Sprouts
- ¼ cup Red Cabbage
- 3-4 Kale Leaves
- ½ cup Chicory, Dandelion or Rapini leaves
- ½ cup Quinoa
- ¼ cup Chickpeas
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ½ Carrot, shredded
- ½ Avocado, sliced or diced
- Desired amount of Pumpkin Seeds
- Desired amount of Dried Cranberries
- Before beginning, prep your salad, but thoroughly cleaning and rinsing your veg
- If you don't have pre-cooked quinoa, cook 1 cup (rinsed) quinoa in 2 cups water, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, lower heat to low temp and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Turn off burner, let stand for an additional 5 minutes, and fluff with fork.
- Use ¼ up for Superfood Salad and store the rest for use later.
- With a peeler, remove tough outer layer of broccoli stem, and thinly slice length-wise (julienne) or cut into thin disks
- Cut stub of brussles sprouts, and peal leaves, or chop into desired pieces
- Remove kale leaves from stem, and rip or chop kale leaves into desired pieces
- Cut the nub off of the chicory and chop
- Thinly slice cabbage
- Begin plating by tossing leafy greens together and adding to a bowl
- Top with quinoa, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot and sliced avocado
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries
- Drizzle with desired salad dressing