If you think by eating healthy, it means cutting out your favorite foods, you are dead wrong!
– unless your favorite treat consists of something heavily processed, sorry I can’t help you there (>_<)
When I ate dairy, I looooved me some tres leches cake! so it’s not surprising that with the help of substituting some ingredients, that anything is possible!
Now I always give credit where credit is due, and thanks to Stella from The Witchy Kitchen, her Vegan Tres Leches recipe was the inspiration for my version of these cute (and yummy) lil vegan gluten-free tres leches cupcakes!
Without further adieu…
- 1½ Cups Gluten-Free Flour (I use Namaste Gluten-Free Perfect Flour Blend)
- ¾ cup Raw Cane Sugar (blended/ground)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil
- 1¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Milk (2 cans)
- ½ cup Vanilla Soy Milk
- 1½ tsp Raw Cane Sugar (blended/ground)
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 Cans Organic Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly coat cupcake pans with coconut oil (simply use a paper towel to wipe a bit of coconut oil around)
- Place Apple Cider Vinegar in Almond Milk and let sit while you prepare the dry ingredients
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, and create a well in the middle.
- Add Coconut Oil, Vanilla Extract and Almond Milk with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix until ingredients are well combined, but careful not to overblend
- Place batter into cupcake pan (or cake pan) and bake for 30-35 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool in pan for an hour
- Mix all ingredients together, whisking/mixing until sugar dissolves
- Once cupcakes are cooled, using a teaspoon, stab the cupcakes to create a pocket to allow the milk to soak into
- Careful not to use too much, to avoid a soggy tres leches cake
- Set aside and let milk soak in while you prepare the frosting...
- Remove the bowl of coconut cream from refrigerator and blend with a hand mixer
- Blend until it resembles fluffy whipped cream
- Add Lemon Zest and Vanilla Extract and continue to blend
- Top your Tres Leches cupcakes with the coconut milk frosting
- Prep work is required by refrigerating the cans of coconut milk the night before, as I explain in my Dairy-Free Whipped Cream recipe, which is used as the frosting.
- I use coconut milk with fat content of 17%, so I recommend using coconut milk with high fat content. If you use something with low fat content, you will be left with very little cream to work with.